Saturday, February 22, 2014

Try and Error - Review - The Punishment



Facts...
Type: Assault Frigate
Weapons of choice: Gatling Pulse Lasers II
Defense: King of passive armor tanking
Role: Bait

The Punisher is a hell of an assault ship but it lacks on range control.
Worst case would be to fight an enemy and he escapes.
In exchange it has the best resilience of all tech1 frigates.

I love this ship because many people think
they can outmaneuver the Punisher.
But that doesn't matter,
because Lasers can hit at any range.

You think Lasers have a bad tracking ?
I can hit max skilled small drones with Aurora at close range,
when flying in on direction, without any kind of tracking bonus.

A passive tank is the best way to use as bait
and this frigate can do it for good.
Some people don't fit a plate and use an SAAR instead.
But the Incursus is by far better as pure active tank.

I was testing a Nano-Punisher with active tank only,
and the enemies got confused every time.
But I had to realize even the Breacher can do this much better.

A Nosferatu is needed to keep most modules running,
and a SAAR can help to increase armor a lot,
specially at time consuming fights.

When comparing all Amarr T1 frigates then only the Punisher relays on its tank to reduce damage income. There is no need to fit an AB because most close combat frigates have range control and this vessel can't counter this and don't need to anyway.

King of passive tanking

[Punisher, King of passive armor tanking /w Mwd]
400mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
Small Ancillary Armor Repairer, Nanite Repair Paste
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
Emergency Damage Control I

Fleeting Progressive Warp Scrambler I
Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I

Gatling Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency S
Gatling Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency S
Gatling Pulse Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency S
Small 'Knave' Energy Drain

Small Ancillary Current Router I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Trimark Armor Pump I


Stats

  • EHP 8.013 w/ 2.228 armor
  • SAAR 194.992 HP hot *  8 (every 3.85sec) = 1.560 HP within 31sec
  • 57.3% explosive damage reduction (lowest armor resi)
  • speed 422ms, align time 3.8sec, cold
  • speed 2.506/3.584ms hot, align time 5.1sec, w/ Mwd
  • dps 78/89 hot, 9+0.6km range, <0.29 tracking, w/ Scorch
  • dps 97/112 hot, 3+0.6km range, <0.38 tracking, w/ IN Multi
  • dps 109/125 hot, 3+0.6km range, <0.27 tracking, w/ Conflagration


Play-style

As bait always align a save spot (like the sun) and wait till an enemy attacks. Then call for reinforcement. When you cant handle the damage income you can try to warp away.

Against frigates I don't change my direction! Most frigates are faster than my ship anyway. But most frigates will back off when locking and shooting them. The ships that don't get impress are blaster-frigates, at least in my experience. Lasers looks impressive, and this saved me time in many cases. As example: Often I was outnumbered but still out of scrambler range and the enemies didn't had a point on me neither, so I could escape.



No comments:

Post a Comment