Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spoilt for Choice - Drones

Most ships (for example: all frigates) don't get a bonus to drone damage and its better to have some tech2 drones when no drone damage bonus is available. Most ships use therefor Hobgoblins or Warriros.

For me is the Hobgoblin II to expensive and to slow and the Warrior II does much less damage, instead I use the Hornet II as my standard. My Hornets can keep up with all frigates, except some T2 Interceptors with speed fitting. I know that the Warrior II is good against those fast Interceptors and against most armor tanking tech1 frigates, but I would apply much less damage against shield tanks. Acolyte II has the same problem against armor tanks. My Hornets have second highest damage output with its kinetic damage. On most ships is kinetic resistance the second weakness, because many ppl prefer the following rigs combination to save some $$$: EM+Thermal as shield tank, and Explosive as armor tank. Multi-resistance modules are best to use at pvp, nothing else.

Against tech2 (heavy) assault ships, and command ships, and some other ships with resistance/repair bonus, its better to exploit weakness with the right damage type.

  • EM against Caldari ships and tech1 ships with shield tanks
  • Thermal against tech2 Amarr ships
  • Kinetic against Minmatar tech2 ships
  • Last but not least Explosive against Gallente ships and all other tech1 ships that use an armor tank


I will never forget the Heavy Armor Maintenance Bots that I used much more than any other drones back in the days. But Logistic Drones need a coordinated fleet of +10 people and all need remote repair stuff. And all need a similar passive tank, also they have to interact with the fleet window, be warned! In exchange are good coordinated fleets with logistics hard to counter.

My normal drones I use as brawler/gankboat mostly. For fleet fights and as kiter/sniper/skirmisher I like to use sentry drones or no drones at all. Most drones need to much time to reach the enemy when the distance is +20km, except small drones vs destroyers, or bigger ships, and approaching frigates they can catch. I like to use my sentry drones in combination of a large dronebay only, because I abandon and redeploy my sentry drones often to keep up with damage and range.

It seems  more than 3 ElectronicWarfare-Drones would be useless, because they suffer from the same penalty like its module counterparts. On top of that most ewar-drones have only 3.000m/s top speed, and they need a velocity bonus via an Omnidirectional Tracking Link, or with a ship bonus like the Algos and Dragoon has.


Every time when orbiting an enemy, I wasn't able to shoot his drones.
I didn't hit them once, because of angular velocity.


Later I tested the same thing with Drones of a corp mate to be sure.


There is no chance to hit drones, when orbiting something, or standing still.

Orbit a cruiser or bigger ships to shoot its drones. Fly straight ahead to fight drones of frigates. Both situations reduce the anugular velocity of drones to shoot them for good. The key is to have a high velocity, so they cant orbit you well. After realized the trick I was able to shoot a skilled Warrior II even with Beam Laser and Aurora. Most people don't know that trick.


Go back to the Spoilt of Choice - Index.

No comments:

Post a Comment