Saturday, February 22, 2014

Spoilt for Choice - Three ways to fit a Ship


Brawlers and Gankboats are close combat ships with short range weapons and a scrambler. To control range most close combat ships use also a webifier in the second med slot. In addition uses most destroyers and bigger ships a microwarpdrive, while this can be exploited. Frigates can use an afterburner to control range even better. The ultimate solution would be dual propulsion, but many ships cant use any kind of dual fitting without sacrifice. For Solo adventures as a brawler I recommend faction or T2 vessels, because they can do a lot more damage and time is the biggest enemy... A fleet could arrive before the foe explode, therefor is a high damage output profitable.

Then there are Kiters with long range weapons and a warp disruptor. These ships need to stay out of webifier and scrambler range (+13km). Therefor they use a microwarpdrive and some loadouts have additional speed modules like Nanofibers. This allows kiters to fight against many targets on grid, at save distance. This works fine with most vessels, because they don't need high dps to explode an enemy vessel and time is less important.

Last but not least there are snipers and skirmishers with long range weapons or massive electronic warfare modules. Most of them don't need a point nor specific speed modules (except an AB or Mwd, to stay within optimal range). They should be out of harm anyway. Most ships are aligned and can warp off in no time.

At least a Damage Control is quite common on all ships!

I need to repair my stuff often when at fleet. Therefor I prefer an strong buffer with an cheap armor repair, or shield extenders only. The main goal in a fleet is hit and run! And its better to replace the webifier for dual propulsion (if not told otherwise).

With most of my ships I preferred a big buffer over maximum Hitpoints regain (EHP/s). But I lost many fights and learned to fit some sort of active tank if possible. My sniper- and kiter-vessels don't have any kind of tank, except a damage control. But these are my personal preferences, because of the ISK-war.

I rarely fit a ship without checking in Eve Fitting Tool,
and I always look at BattleClinic Loadouts and other resources,
like the Killboards of RedvsBlue.
I try to compare all different loadouts with each other
and put the best of all in one for test.
It also help me to find an advantage and its weakness.

I rarely use tech2 modules, because they are expensive. Sometimes I use tech2 modules to get extra range (like a tech2 warp disruptor, or tech2 lasers with Scorch/Aurora) but I am better off with the cheaper version in most cases. Named modules aren't that bad and beside of saving some $$$ I have more Powergrid and CPU available. On top of that some named modules use less capacitor.

As a mercenary I learned to use a EG-60x implant to increase powergrid, and since then (2007) most of my fittings need at least 1% additional powergrid (even with max skills). It is a must have in my opinion. New for me (since 2014) are the Genolution Core Augmentation CA-1 & CA-2, to increase Powergrid even more and to boost the Cpu a bit. Sometimes I change my clone for additional implants like more cap recharge. Most hardwirings that have a name ending in 1, 2, or 3, are affordable. The two Geno imps cost a bit more, but they can boost a lot. With all implants (Geno+EG) I get 3% more Cpu and 6% more Powergrid. An enemy needs an Interceptor with Sensor Booster and Targeting System Subcontroller Rigs to get a point on my capsule (in less than one second). A fleet can also use Remote Sensor Boosters on an Interceptor to get my capsule locked. Nonetheless, at high security systems most people aren't fitted that way (except at Jita and gate camps) and that is the reasons why I have some implant slots filled with implants. On top of that is it not allowed to pod RvB members.

Many pvper still think the first thing to learn/skill is an Interceptor, but that isn't true any more. Its better to start pvp with a buffer tank. There are many things that can happen and new players are better off with a buffer tank to have more time to react. Every time I returned to Eve I was flying some sort of buffer tank in the beginning too. I really like to recommend a buffer tank for the bloody beginners.


Go back to the Spoilt of Choice - Index.

No comments:

Post a Comment